Sometimes I get a craving for a very specific item. Specific and random. I haven’t had a big hunk since I was a kid. They were always delicious but really hard on my teeth. I would often settle for their softer cousin, the Payday. Which instead of nougat it has soft caramel. And of course the salty peanuts.

I found an awesome website ( that has recipes for homemade versions of all the delicious candy we’ve grown to love…Twix, Snickers, Kit Kats, and of course Big Hunks.

This was super easy to make and tasted exactly like the original candy bar that you can buy in stores.  However, it was slightly softer. Which made my teeth happy. Yummy.

This recipe makes a lot of candy. I haven’t tried cutting the recipe in half, but I’m sure it would yield similar results if you wanted to try. I cut the candy into smaller sized pieces, and wrapped them each individually. Which took forever, but it was worth it. It makes it easier to just grab a couple to snack on, or give them away.

Homemade Big Hunk Candy Bars:

3 small jars (about 21 ounces) of Marshmallow fluff

2 1/4 cup corn syrup

2 1/4 cup sugar

6 tbs unsalted butter, melted

2 tsp vanilla

1/4 tsp salt

1 jar (16 ounces) roasted peanuts, salted

In a large bowl add the marshmallow fluff and set aside.  Butter a large cookie sheet and scatter the peanuts across it, and set aside.  In a small bowl combine butter, salt and vanilla, and set aside. In a large saucepan add the corn syrup and the sugar.  Set over medium to medium high heat, stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil.  When it starts to boil, STOP stirring.  Add a candy thermometer and watch the mixture.  When the mixture reaches 280 degrees Fahrenheit, or the “soft crack” stage, remove from heat, and allow it to sit for 2 minutes.  After 2 minutes, add the corn syrup and sugar mixture to the bowl of marshmallow fluff. Stir to combine, then add the butter mixture, and incorporate that in.  Once combined, drizzle the mixture over the peanuts on the cookie sheet.  Let candy sit at room temperature for a couple hours until it has hardened enough for you to cut into pieces and wrap.